Complete SM465 Transmission Package
Easily one of the very best four-speed transmissions ever built; the SM465.
Our Muncie 465 is professionally and meticulously rebuilt. We use the best components, including bearings, synchronizers, bushings, seals and gaskets built by our SM465 specialist and expert. Any available updates and improvements are performed.
A new, unbent transmission shifter cane is included and ready for the installer to bend to the particular application and driver's preference (if you wish you use your factory stick, let us know and we'll apply a discount).
Applications & Compatibility
Factory Style Build vs. Adapted Build
Our factory style builds are OEM style replacement transmissions that may require the use of the vehicle owner's original tailhousing (either 2wd or 4wd) to complete the installation.
Adapted builds are designed primarily for installation into Jeep vehicles and include the installed aftermarket Novak mainshaft, adapter kit, rear mount, and pilot bushing as indicated for the customer's scenario.
An example of a Novak adapter, installed and ready.
Transfer Case Adaptability
Your 465 can be ordered ready to join to the following Jeep transfer cases:
We can also do a full rebuild of your Jeep transfer case if you would like to ship it to us. We can provide any upgrade components for it that you wish. It will be pre-installed to the transmission and ready to lift into your Jeep.
We will configure your front input section for a variety of OEM or conversion bellhousings including:
- GM 4-11/16" bore bellhousings (machining of your bellhousing may be required - please inquire)
- GM 5-1/8" bore bellhousings
- AMC I6 (258 & 4.0L) & V8 bellhousings
We can often source a bellhousing or use your particular GM or AMC bellhousing as required. Conversions to AMC bellhousings will include necessary machining for Crank Position Sensors (CPS), face pockets (if necessary) and the bellhousing rear face bolt pattern. The pilot bushing is included as specified.
Your 465's Construction:
We start with a great core transmission and do a full disassembly and breakdown
Detailed parts inspection and measurement are performed
The main case and top cover are hot-cleaned, media blasted, primed and enameled with a tough, industrial grade finish
The top shifter cover is fully rebuilt with new springs, poppets and hardware
Full gearbox reassembly using all new bearings, bushings, synchronizers, snap rings - all consumable transmission parts - are replaced and new hard parts are installed wherever indicated, including the improved 3rd gear assembly
A new reverse switch with simple spade style terminals is installed
Your transfer case and bellhousing (if available) are installed and configured
The transmission undergoes a 24 hour leakdown test, after which it is fully stress-tested through all gears on our 300 HP test stand
Your transmission package is palleted, wrapped, fully insured and ready to bolt into your application. Novak will seek the best competitive shipping rates with our extensive trucking networks. It will arrive at a location of your choosing, though we strongly recommend a business location with a dock / forklift for delivery, as residential and liftgate fees can add up to an extra $100. per delivery.
Pricing is generally as follows:
- SM465 factory style build: $1390.
- SM465 with a Novak adapter assembly, to GM engines, pilot bushing, a new straight shifter stick and urethane mount: $1930.
- SM465 with a Novak adapter assembly, to AMC engines, including special front retainer and pilot bushing, a new straight shifter stick and urethane mount: $2040.
Because of the many variations involved, we encourage you to contact us directly by phone or e-mail. We will help you put together your transmission to best fit your requirements.
Parts for the
The SM465 is arguably one of the greatest four-speed transmissions ever built, and reconditioning one is a worthwhile project.
Our master rebuild kit has been assembled for our customer's rebuilds as well as our own. It is the most complete kit we've seen anywhere and features all the consumable and wear item components.
Our kit standardizes the SM465 thrust washer and endplay and we recommend that you use the supplied shaft bushings with the supplied thrust washer for simplicity.
There are two versions of our rebuild kit, each compatible with all 2wd, 4wd and conversion 465's:
- The first and most common kit is for 1968-1987 versions as well as 1988-1991 versions with the narrower .68" front bearing.
- The second kit is for the 1988-1991 version - typically with the aluminum top cover - with the wider .83" front bearing. The only way to know this version is to remove the front bearing retainer and check for a #211 bearing or to remove it and measure its width.
It is very common for our customers to do top-level rebuild work, using good methods and by following our included instruction guide.
We suggest the rebuilder have access to a set of snap ring pliers, a bearing puller and a hydraulic press.
Note: Our SM465 rebuild kits are currently unavailable, but we're working directly with manufacturers to get them resupplied as quickly as possible.
Essentially all parts for the SM465, including gears, shafts, factory adapters & tailhousings, retainers, etc. are available new and affordably so. Our parts ordering module is provided below. For anything not shown, contact us.
Key items of interest:
Click on any item description in blue below to expand its details for purchase. You can use your browser's Back button to return to this page and your cart items will remain.
For your reference, all asterixed * items below are included in our master rebuild kit, above.
Items indicated with a "‡" are not available singly, but are included in the Small Parts Kit, #A below.
A. Kit, small parts *
B. Kit, mainshaft journal bushings *
1. Retainer, bearing, front input
2. Gasket, front input bearing retainer *
3. Seal, front input *
4. Ring, retaining, front input shaft to bearing *‡
5. Ring, retaining, front input bearing to case *‡
6. Bearing, front input *
7. Shield or slinger, front input *‡
8. Shaft, front input (aka, input gear or clutch shaft)
9. Ring, clip, input shaft to mainshaft pilot rollers *‡
10. Bearings, needle rollers *‡
11. Ring, synchronizer, 3rd to 4th gear *
12. Slider, clutch, 3rd / 4th gear
13. Ring, clip, input shaft to mainshaft pilot rollers *‡
14. Spring, synchronizer hub, 3rd / 4th *
15. Hub, synchronizer, 3rd / 4th
16. Spring, synchronizer hub, 3rd / 4th *
17. Keys, synchronizer hub, 3rd / 4th *
18. Assembly, syncrhonizer hub, 3rd / 4th
19. Ring, synchronizer, 3rd to 4th gear *
20. Gear, 3rd
21. Bushing, mainshaft journal, 3rd gear *
22. Washer, thrust *‡
23. Gear, 2nd
24. Ring, synchronizer, 2nd to 3rd gear *
25. Bushing, mainshaft journal, 2nd gear *
26. Shaft, main
27. Spring, synchronizer hub, 1st / 2nd *
28. Hub, synchronizer, 1st / 2nd
29. Spring, synchronizer hub, 1st / 2nd *
30. Gear, reverse, sliding clutch
31. Keys, synchronizer hub, 1st / 2nd *
32. Assembly, synchronizer, 1st / 2nd
33. Bushing, mainshaft journal, 1st gear *
34. Pins, 1st gear
35. Gear, 1st
36. Washer, thrust, improved aftermarket version*‡
37. Bearing, rear output *
38. Ring, retaining, rear output bearing to case
39. Ring, retaining, mainshaft to rear output bearing*‡
40. Bearing, roller, countershaft front *
41. Ring, retaining, countershaft front bearing *‡
42. Washer, spacer, countershaft front
43. Gear, countershaft drive
44. Washer, countershaft spacing *‡
45. Ring, retaining, countershaft spacing *‡
46. Ring, retaining, countershaft spacing *‡
47. Spacer, countershaft (later design, replaces #'s 44-46) *
48. Gear, countershaft, third
49. Shaft, counter
50. Bearing, ball roller, countershaft rear *
51. Ring, retaining, countershaft rear bearing to case
52. Ring, retaining, countershaft rear bearing to shaft *‡
53. Gear, reverse idler, includes bushing
54. Shaft, reverse idler
55. Cover, PTO port
56. Gasket, PTO port cover *
57. Screw, countershaft front bearing cover plate
58. Plate, countershaft front bearing cover
59. Gasket, countershaft front bearing cover *
60. Plug, drain
61. Plug, filler
62. Gasket, top cover *
63. Gasket, rear tailhousing to case *
64. Bolt, PTO cover plate
65. Seal, oil, 2wd style *