The 700R4 is a great transmission with a low first gear (3.06:1) and a desirable overdrive (.70:1). Early versions evolved into highly durable and respected transmissions, through improvements made by GM and also the performance aftermarket. A properly built 700R and its progeny, the 4L60E, are our favorite transmissions for swaps if you can accomodate the length. More in-depth info is here.
Every Novak 700R4 transmission starts with a 1988 or newer core with an auxiliary valve body. It gets carefully disassembled and is deep-cleaned and inspected before assembly. New clutches, seals, bushings, bearings, and gaskets are assembled to specs that exceed later model years' OEM V8 levels. LubeGuard additive is included for longevity and shift quality.
Included with each package is transmission bottom cover, dipstick and kick-down (TV) cable.
One great advantage is that we will install the appropriate Novak transfer case adapter and output shaft during the build. This saves you having to open up the transmission to install the output shaft or paying to have it done. That along with our package discounted price, it saves you time, money and potential problems. Transmission to engine adapters (if necessary) are available and in addition to the pricing as listed below. Please inquire.
Factory Style Build vs. Adapted Build
Our factory style builds are OEM style replacement transmissions using the applicable GM output shaft, but that may require the use of the vehicle owner's original tailhousing (either 2wd or 4wd) to complete the installation.
Adapted builds are designed primarily for installation into Jeep vehicles and include the installed aftermarket Novak output shaft, adapter kit and urethane crossmember rear mount, as indicated for the customer's scenario.
Transfer Case Adaptability
Your 700R4 can be ordered ready to join (or joined) to the following Jeep transfer cases:
Dana 18, 1941-1971
Dana 20, 1962-1979
Dana 300, 1980-1986
We can do a full rebuild of your transfer case if you ship it to us. Many upgrades components are available. It will be pre-installed to the transmission and ready to install in your Jeep.
Level I, $1760. ($2245., adapted)
Our "Stock Plus" transmission that meets or exceeds the factory original version integrating a few key improvements over the originals. Recommended for engines up to 300 HP and 300 ft. lbs. torque. All components upgraded to late model V8 specs including and additionally:
- Fully rebuilt OEM quality torque converter
- V8 grade sprag
- Wide low roller clutch
- Late model sun shell
- 30 spline input shaft
- Wide sun gear bushing
- Teflon coated pump bushing
- 7-clutch 3rd-to-4th clutch pack (up from a stock 6 clutch pack for V8 models)
- Late 3-4 apply plate with integrated legs
- TransGo shift kit for strength, improved shift quality and correct timing
- Rebuilt, reconfigured governer driven gear
- Integrated, internal hydraulic lock-up controller
- All bushings and thrust washers replaced
- New one piece molded 3rd-to-4th piston
- Hardened pump rings
- High RPM pump spring
- Low roller clutch case-saver
- All new clutch steels
- A drain plug is added to the pan for future convenience
Level II, $1970. ($2445., adapted)
Our Level II features all the above improvements, and takes it further for even better longevity and more power handling capability for engines up to 375 HP and 375 ft. lbs. torque, including:
- High performance, furnace brazed torque converter
- TransGo shift kit for strength and improved, calibrated shift timing
- Alto Red Eagle clutch discs and band
- Beast Reaction shell
- Corvette 2nd gear piston
- 8-clutch 3rd gear pack
- 29 element sprag
- Wide band
- New reverse input drum
- Large boost valve
Level III, $2780. ($3250., adapted)
Our "all out" transmission includes many additional subtle improvements. Time consuming steps are taken to assure maximum strength and life including minimizing clearances and other blueprinting steps. We can customize this transmission even further for specific needs including full manual control, trans. brakes, race spec converters, Kolene steels, harder race spec shifts, etc. For level III transmissions we prefer to talk with you to make sure that you get the best transmission for your application as these units can get highly specialized. Recommended for engines above 375 HP and 375 ft. lbs of torque. Includes all features of Level II, plus the following:
- GM's heavier cast "K" case
- Raybestos Blue Plate Special clutches
- 8-clutch third gear pack
- Carbon, wide 2-to-4 Band
- Minimized clearances (a.k.a., blueprinting)
- Front and rear 5-pinion planet gears
- Wide sun gear and stator support bushing
- Billet 4th gear servo
- Borg Warner 29 element input sprag
- High performance, furnace brazed torque converter with stall choices of 1400-1600 (best for Jeeps with power bias a in the lower revs) or 1800-2200 (best for mildly modified engines with RV cams, etc) or 2200-2600 (performance torque converters for race-oreinted or more radical cam timing.). Choose your stall speed to closely match where your engine's torque curve starts.
The 700R4 is availabe in the standard Chevrolet bolt pattern. It was also produced in the smaller 60 degree V6 bolt pattern that also works with some front wheel drive engines. If you need the smaller bolt pattern, please call or email for information on this option.
The 700R4 may also be used with AMC I6 & V8 engine applications with our #437AMC adapter kit. If ordered with a transmission, we will install it on the transmission.
We can also integrate your 700R4 into a full TurnKey powertrain package with engine, transmission, transfer case and controls all assembled, tested and ready to install in your vehicle.
Your transmission package is palleted, wrapped, fully insured and ready to bolt into your application. Novak will seek the best competitive shipping rates with our extensive trucking networks. It will arrive at a location of your choosing, though we strongly recommend a business location with a dock / forklift for delivery, as residential and liftgate fees can add up to an extra $100. per delivery.
How to Order
Because of the many variations involved, we encourage you to contact us directly by phone or e-mail. We will help you put together your transmission to best fit your requirements.